Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Why I'm Here

One of the most common questions I received before departing for the foreign land that is Korea was: Why?  There are numerous answers to this question- all of which are true and accurate- but one of the answers I'd give was this:  I have some things in my life I need to work on, areas I want to change about me.  Most everyone, when they heard this, would react confused and slightly defensive saying: Why can't you do that here?  You have to go half way around the world to do this?  As if by my answer I was saying Orlando wasn't good enough for me to do this there.  This isn't true at all.  I love the people in Orlando dearly, and miss the community that exists.  I miss talking to my friends, hanging out with them, random encounters and fun adventures.  Life isn't the same without you.
But I need to be here.
Today I felt something move in me, telling me that yes, coming here was right.  I've felt it many times, with it growing stronger each time I hear it.  I'm finally living my life I've always wanted to.  I'm doing things I haven't done in years but missed, doing things I always wanted to but never did.  My life is full of beauty, peace, simplicity- all that I could ever ask for. 
I'm volunteering again- in areas that always scared me to be honest (homeless ministry and an animal shelter).  And the fear/hesitation I feel from my own weakness encourages me to keep pushing forward.  I'm participating in bible studies, growing closer to God and attempting to learn about who He is.  I'm reading again, devouring books like I used to years ago.  I'm going dancing, but it doesn't consume my life the way it used to.  I feel a balance, true balance, in my life.  And it feels good.
---
In other news, I've recently reconnected with an old friend.  She asked me two simple questions, to which I replied and asked her to tell me about her life.  The responses have been amazing, beautiful, joyful and full of such happiness that no words can express the overflowing sensation of happiness I have in my heart at talking to her again!  She's changed her life around, from one of being abused by her mom, watching her little sister be abused, to one of hard work, planning to start her own business, travel the world.  I'm so proud of her, I can't even tell you!  And the joy she feels in life, the faith she has in me even- it made me start crying upon reading it.  Nothing has ever done that to me- ever.  I can't wait to talk to her in person again, I have a feeling that we would talk for days if we could. 
Yes, life is good.  Not perfect, not easy, not always happy even- but good all the same. 
Love,
Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment