Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Late night writings


Sweet honest girl,
Learn to play the game.
Sweet honest girl,
You'll never be the same.

Naive blue eyes,
See the world all wrong.
Naive blue eyes,
Unsure where you belong.

Kind gentle one,
You don't understand.
Kind gentle one,
This is no dreamland.

Jaded girl, wise;
Let me in your heart.
Jaded girl, wise;
I'll be your fresh start.
---
Wary rabbit,
Always on my mind.
Wary rabbit,
It's you I long to find.

Woman misused,
Don't run in fear.
Woman misused,
Come close to me, near.

Long-distance friend,
Missing you always.
Long-distance friend,
My heart never strays.

Graceful, confused;
Let us meet tonight.
Graceful, confused;
In dreams, we hold tight.

------
Texted someone, and something they said inspired me.  I haven't written a poem in years, but this just kinda came to me.  I'm not very good with poems, but this seemed to flow.  So I didn't fight it.
I realized tonight that when you find someone you don't mind waiting for, you know you've found someone worth waiting for.
-----
Life in Korea has been good this semester.  Daily life is going well, I'm having troubles with my co-teacher, but that's normal at this point.  Bible study has ended, but my group continues to meet up anyways.  Having some troubles with a friend, but hopefully we'll pull through and salvage our friendship somehow.  A friend from back in the states may be coming to visit, and I'm really hoping he decides to!  It would be awesome to have a friend come here!!!  Uhm, let's see, what else . . .  Oh!  I went swing dancing both Wednesday and Friday this week!  It was great!  I danced almost the entire time both nights!  Though I found out from a guy friend that it's probably because the guys all find me attractive or something based on the shirts I wear.  They're normal western shirts, but no one shows anything below their collar bones here really, or shoulders for that matter.  And I do, so my normal shirts back home are a little scandalous maybe here.  :/  Oh well. 
I think the best way to understand the clash of Western vs. Easter culture is by describing a comic he told me about:
On the left side of the panel is a Korean woman. She is dressed in a high cut shirt, short mini skirt and heals.  On the right is a Western/American woman wearing jeans and a tank top.  A thought bubble coming from both of them, meets at the top of the panel and says "Whore".
In the west, it's okay to show upper torso skin, cleavage and bra straps.  In the east, it's okay to show leg, butt and even panties.  Just differences in culture.
I think it's interesting honestly, wonder how the differences came about.
Alright, bed time over here.  Hope everyone is doing well.
Love you,
Rita

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it strange how cultures can differ on some of the most trivial details?
    Still, I know what you mean about a beach. I'm thinking of organizing a trip sometime this summer, just to get away.
    Will send you an email soon! Love you, girly. :)

    ReplyDelete