Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Monday, December 2, 2013

Preparing to Let Go

As with many new transitions in life, everybody loves to discuss the good, but nobody is willing to mention the bad.  This is true for when you turn 18 and can start driving, when you turn 21 and can start drinking, and when you move away from home for the first time to attend college.  It is also true of the life I have chosen to live for the unknown future: being an expat.  One aspect I was never aware of, that no one mentioned and I didn't have the foresight to read about, was how hard and often I would have to say goodbye to those I have come to love and cherish.  I never knew that every few months, there would be someone new to let go.  A person I had only really begun to know, but that had become part of my social network, support structure, and dear friend.
While talking with a friend a long time ago, we were discussing this very topic.  They shared a magazine article they had read while on a flight somewhere that analyzed the differences between friendships back home and friendships overseas.  In a home country, on average, you have an indefinite amount of years (theoretically) to get to know someone, and develop a friendship.  You can take years to become close and get to know someone.  (With this, I believe many people are hesitant to push the friendship too fast, in fear of appearing needy.)  In comparison, generally the opposite is true for expatriates.  I know for me, I have found friendships develop at a much different pace entirely.  We know that there is a clock hanging above our heads with a count down that will start at some point.  Though it is not always known when, every person is aware of its existence.  Therefore, when we meet a person who we connect with, enjoy their company, and have fun with, we are not shy about contacting them right away to hang out every single weekend, or propose the idea of having a weekly dinner for example.  Within only two or three months, for those that I have genuinely hit it off with, I find that they become one of my best friends here fast.  It takes months, instead of years, to develop a close bond where we share everything, and we allow them to view us at our worst and weakest points.
Now granted, this is simply from my point of view, and it is one coming from an introverted and very shy women.  I have always been slow to trust and open up to others, so my perspective will be different from some of my friends who hit things off much faster than I do.  But, for me, the speed at which things work in Korea, as compared to the United States, is one I find truly shocking and a wonderful difference.
With this though, comes the aspect that I discussed earlier, of saying goodbye.  It is always hard to let go, though for me it seems to become more difficult the older I get.  Possibly the main reason is that with the friends I have developed here, they are people who have shared an experience with me that only other expatriates will understand.  Sometimes they are even from other countries (such as my friend S, who is from South Africa), which adds to the difficulty of letting go.  I never know when I will see them again, and that fear reduces me to small, curled up bundle crying my eyes out the night they leave.  Time eases the pain, and technology reduces the hardship of staying close.  I email, facebook, kakao, skype, google +, and tango with everyone I love as often as I realistically can, and stubbornly refuse to let the friendship wither away.  More often than not, if the other person cares as much as I, the time differences and physical space do little to diminish what we shared.  It is not the same though, and never will be till we are laughing and sharing together in person again.
Tomorrow I will depart for Incheon International Airport, sitting side-by-side with one of the best friends I have made during my time here.  He is one of three people that I meet within the first month of moving here who still remained (for those of you who are counting, I've been here 2 years and 4 months now).  We met randomly, purely by chance, with fate obviously working hard to ensure that we stopped and talked that day.  I am the last person he will see, and I feel beyond blessed and loved that he wants it that way.  When I have to walk back on that train, look up, and see in the glass that I am alone this time, it will be beyond hard for me.  It won't be the end, and it is never goodbye forever . . . but the pain, the unknown forever separating me from a person who I love, care for, and have shared so much with, reminds me how real, true, and deep the connection is.
I may not know when life will bring me together with every friend I have made here as an expat, but I know I will see them again someday.

Hello.
Goodbye.
Welcome to the expat life.

Always,
Rita

1 comment:

  1. Similar to what I recall of life as a military kid, moving every couple of years or less. It's rough!

    ReplyDelete