Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

It's a Beautiful Day!


(I meant to post this yesterday, but didn't have internet in the morning, and forgot by the evening!  Whoops!)
Good morning!
It is officially 7:50 am in Qinhuangdao, China on Saturday.  That means it is 7:50pm on Friday in the East Coast USA.  Cool huh?  Yesterday and the day before were spent entirely in travel.  We (the team) woke up at 5am on Thursday morning, were on the road to the airport by 6, the plane departed by 10am (due to delays), and we touched down in China at 2:50pm on Friday afternoon.  From there, it was another four hour bus ride to our city, which wasn’t as bad as I worried it would be.  (Seoul buses are AWFUL!)  After getting one or two things from the local store with my other team mates, I settled into my new place, and slowly started making it my home.  It’s not done yet, and the list of things I need seems to be growing ever longer slowly (all little things too, ugh!), but it is definitely coming along quite nicely.  Today we will explore the campus a little, get what supplies we need, and possibly go downtown a bit as well.
I bet you are wondering, what about the fact that I am in CHINA!  Well, in case you were wondering, no I hadn’t forgotten in my jet lagged haze (I don’t feel that jet lagged honestly, despite waking up at 6am).  Lol!  I haven’t gotten to see a lot since arriving yet honestly, as driving through Beijing does not give you a good feel for what the city is like.  We also arrived in Qinhuangdao at about 8pm, and as everyone knows, darkness is rarely conducive to knowing what a place really looks and feels like.  I can say this though: The country is a lot more relaxed than Korea, with folks not feeling the pressure to dress and look perfect it seems.  Along the way, I noticed a fair amount of sheep herds as well, giving me the feeling of a mix of old and new put together.  There were many neon lights last night when we arrived in Qinhuangdao, which did not surprise me that much, and the late night street where I bought my fruit echoed similarities in my mind of memories from other countries I have visited.  I am really excited to see more of China, though nervous too, as I keep wanting to compare everything to Korea.  It will be undoubtedly hard for me to switch my mental gears.
September 1st is a big day for me here, as well as my friend Robert in Sweden, and Mike in Korea,.  We all start school!  Robert and Mike start grad classes, and I start teaching my undergrad kids!  Crazy coincidence right?  Haha!  Honestly, I can’t even explain how much I long to step back into the classroom.  After three years of teaching almost 365 days a year, I find it interesting how much I miss teaching.  It’s not that I thought I wouldn’t, but I’m surprised at how, in the midst of being in a new country, with a new language, surrounded by new people, the physical place I am eager to get to the most is my classroom.  Guess that does make me a teacher at heart.
“In the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take, relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make.”
My Dad wrote that on one of the daily messages he prepares for me for when I live abroad every year (Yeah, I’m a spoiled daughter!).  I read that while standing in my new kitchen here in China and found myself proudly knowing I have not let this happen to me, and will never let it do so in the future.  I don’t want to spend my life waiting, thinking, afraid- I want to jump into the deep end, be a little crazy, and try my hand at living life to the fullest.  There is no greater regret in my mind, then to never try.
Just remember, dear friends, “One of the best feelings in the world is knowing that your presence and absence both mean something to someone.”  I am beyond lucky to have both the family and friends that I do.  Thank you for loving me, missing me, and letting me go to explore this world.  Here’s to another year of adventures!
Love,
Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment