Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Simple Letter

Dear Cambodia,
I can't believe my time is coming to an end.  Once I leave, I don't know how long it will be before I am able to come back.  What am I going to do with you so far away again?  You make my heart sing with happiness, the stress that far too often weighs upon my shoulders seemingly effortlessly disappear, and my usually relentless brain quiet down.  You rejuvenate my soul, inspire the artist in me, and never ask for anything in return beyond the minimum help others can give to get back on your two feet.
Throughout my trip, I saw many of the same sights I did last time, and yet, with fresh eyes, they were new all over again too.  Details appeared that I had missed before, food I had never tried were experienced for the first time, and of the things I wish I had done before, I finally did.
How do you say goodbye to a country you have come to love so much, you convince everyone you can to visit?  How do you board a plane to leave a place you wish you could wrap up and carry away with you, just to keep it near?  How do you let go of a place that makes you happy, truly and unequivocally, happy?
I don't have the answer to these questions, and I know nobody in your beautifully war town lands does either.  Maybe to you, I am simply another white tourist, another American- but to me, you are the memories that buoy my sad heart when trapped in a city for too long.   You are the food I love, the rare country of people who always have a smile ready 24/7, the perfect weather, amazing ancient architecture, and the only nation I have not lived in yet love as my own two (Korea and America).  The day I can come back will not be soon enough, and next time, I will explore even more.  This I promise you.
Always,
Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment