Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Korea Count Down

In just over 4 months I will be departing from the land of kimchi, chop sticks, and k-pop.  Though this is something I have wanted for a long long time, it is still hard for me to digest that it will really be happening.  Korea has become my home, where my family of friends are, and the life I have struggled and fought so hard to create.  This is where I have gone through life changing events, grown more than I knew possible, met some of my best friends, and learned more about education/teaching, particularly in South Korea, than I knew possible.  As a way to stay positive about my ending time in this small peninsula, I am approaching the remaining time here bucket-list style.  What have I done, and what do I have left that I want to do, before I leave?  So with no further ado, here is my Korea list!

1. DMZ tour
This is something everyone in America asks, "Isn't that so dangerous?!"  There is such a large degree of misunderstanding in regards to this area of South Korea, and while I do grant that you can't be stupid here, and need to both respect and understand the significance of what the area really represents, it is much safer than everyone expects.  It is also, surprisingly, a huge wildlife area.  Seeing all of the letters, ribbons and photos of the torn families, or North Korean citizens who have been abused by their government, makes for a both solemn, and eye opening, opportunity.  Going here was an amazing experience, and I am very grateful for it!

2. Namsan Tower
At the heart of the city, literally, lies a tall tower on a hill.  This is Namsan Tower, or N.Seoul Tower, and if ventured to on a (too rarely occurring) clear day, can grant you a view of the city that few other areas can.  (I know, I've looked.  Though Bukchon Village does grant another of the city that rivals Namsan, and is both less crowded, more peaceful, and a great deal more romantic as well).  More than once in my time here have I gone to both the tower, as well as the park on the other side of the small mountain/hill to enjoy the nature area.  With beautiful flowers spring through fall, lovely water ways, and a good workout hike to the top, I honestly think this is one of my favorite relaxation spot in the city.

3. Jeju Island
Wow!  Talk about a must-see for Korea!  This is hands down the one thing I push people who visit Korea to see, if they have time to go anywhere outside Seoul!  Though I didn't have long there, I really did enjoy the quiet, beautiful, unpolluted and relaxed nature of this island. Hiking up Mt.Hallasan was hands down the BEST hike I have ever experienced, and would do again in a heart beat!  The view from the top, along with the view /of/ the top of the old volcano, was breathtaking.  It was still, quiet, and I felt close enough to touch clouds that floated by overhead.  Being there was like being on another plane, and such a great adventure! 
While there, I also was able to see my third natural wonder of the world, something I won't lie, made me really really happy!  I cannot wait to go back in June!!!  It's going to be amazing!

4. See the cherry blossoms in Gyeongju
My first spring here, a friend asked if I wanted to go to Gyeongju to see the cherry blossoms.  As we don't have these much famed flowering trees in Florida, I jumped all over her offer!  Ever since that trip, I have made a point of visiting this city each spring as part of my attempt to view these elusive and beautifully fragile flowers in April. Biking through the oldest city in all of Korea, underneath trees that drop petals on you like gentle snowflakes, breathing in the first winds of spring that nature ushers in, always brings me such happiness.  I plan to go back for my last spring this year, and cannot wait.  Even if I miss the prime weekend again, I won't care.  It is worth it.

5. Sockho
Though not originally on my list, my coworker went on a whim one weekend, and inspired me to visit this small ocean side city.  When I finally did, rather suddenly and spontaneously as is my fashion, I didn't regret it.  This beautiful, salt filled air, quiet, slower paced, and friendly city would leave any ocean loving soul happy too.  Home to Mt. Seoraksan, a sight that leaves one with a thrill in their heart to see, is a place any person could fall in love with.  I know I did.  It is my hopes that I can go back with my friends for hiking and a beach day. 

6. Hike various mountains (To do: Mt. Seoraksan and at least part of the old city fortress wall)
Hiking is something that is not available where I am from, as I am from a flatter than flat place.  When I heard that Korea was full of mountains, and Seoul was surrounded by them, I got so excited!  Upon arrival, I found the air much dirtier than I anticipated, and this has lead me to be less than eager to hike in it to be honest.  When I have though, I have never been disappointed.  From little mountains like Mt. Inwangsan, to large ones like Mt. Dobongsan, the journey up is hard, challenging, and exciting!  Coming down posses just as many challenges though, and usually I start kicking myself at this point, asking what the heck I was thinking.  I also find my once solid legs have turned to spaghetti under me!  But being me, I laugh off all of my falls and silly tumbles going down, thanks to my overly joyous, nature-filled, and exercise induced mood I have been put in.  I aim to hike at least Mt. Seoraksan before leaving, as that is the one mountain Korea is most famed for.

7. Experience Buddha's Birthday in Busan
As every foreigner in Korea knows, this is a must do thing while living here.  As a person who greatly dislikes doing something, just because others say you should do it, I avoided going to Busan on Budha's Birthday my first year here.  My second year here though, I gave in and went with a friend.  Boy, I could not have been more mistaken about it!  The lanterns were amazing to see at night, and beyond beautiful!  The crowds were definitely worth the hassle, and I would go through it again with zero hesitation.  Being a beach loving person anymore, I also find that being able to sit on the sand during the day, for as long as I like, is amazingly relaxing too!  Because it is still crowded and noisy at times, Busan is by no means a perfect city.  If you have the time, I do recommend visiting though.  Especially on Buddha's Birthday. ;)

8. See the bamboo forest down south (appears to be happening in May)
Bamboo, forest, what more needs explaining? "The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." ~Unknown

9. See the garden of Morning Calm and Glory
This is a garden I heard about during my first year here, and saw photos of on a friends fb page.  I have wanted to visit since then, but been unable to, or put it off for numerous reasons.  As soon as May hits with spring flowers, I plan to visit, come hell or high water!  >.<

10. See the Tripitaka Koreana
As a fresh newbie, less than a week off the boat, er, plane, in Korea, I was told about this amazing written work by a wonderful Korean woman at orientation.  Unlike most people I suspect, I was enthralled by the idea that this amazing work held, and have been curious to visit the remote temple that houses the largest piece of writing in the world.  I hope to visit some time before I depart, though I am not sure when yet.

11. Gyeongbokgung Palace and Changdeokgung Palace (also the palace gardens)
I will not waste time trying to explain the beauty I find in the palaces here.  Having visited them in every season, I still love the amazing details.  Just look for yourself and decide.
Winter
Spring
Summer
Summer
Fall
12. Photograph my favorite neighborhoods (Gangnam, Itaewon, and overland pedestrian walks at night time still need to be photographed)
As a personal project, I take pleasure in occasionally walking through my favorite neighborhoods and photographing them.  I explore every nook and cranny, trying to not only get to know the area intimately, but also through the view of my camera lens.  I haven't had the opportunity, or time, in almost a year to do this, but I hope to photograph at least two more neighborhoods before I leave.  I know this sounds silly, a bit loner-like, and boring to most- but I enjoy the experience of not just living and visiting a place, but really /knowing/ it, inside and out.

13. Spend a day at the beach with my friends
As a beach loving kind of girl, this is simply something I want to do as a means of having fun with friends, another memory I can add before stepping on that plane.  Looks like this may be happening in June or July, once the water is warm and grad school crazy has ended.  :)

14. Swing dancing in Seoul
As of January this year, I have been swing dancing for about five years. I find it strange and exciting to think that I can now consider myself a fledgling old-timer!  Especially when I consider that half of my swing dancing life has been spent in this large city.  Though I have experienced difficulties in dancing in a foreign city when I was born and raised in a US one, I have enjoyed my nights dancing here.  Seoul is, undeniably, the largest swing dancing city in the entire world.  And their dancers, though lacking that creative spark I love so much in foreigners elsewhere, are still amazing on the dance floor and some of the best in the world.  I am honored to be able to call Seoul my swing dance home.  (Sadly I have almost zero photos of me dancing here, but that is okay.  The memories will last for many years in my mind!)  I've danced in the following bars:
Swing Bar
Boogie Woogie
Acuavit (Old - Latin Plus One)
Fiesta I
Happy Bar
Bounce Blue (Old - Lindy Club)
All That Swing
Sky Grand Ballroom
Swing Time
Big Apple
The Savoy
RingoPop
Swing Zoo
The Holic
Step Bar
The 1st

15. Go to as many museums as possible
As an unabashed nerd, I will fully admit that museums make me extremely happy!  Museum hopping with friends has become a favorite pass time of mine!  Though more often than not, I find myself at least somewhat disappointed or underwhelmed by the exhibits or artwork on display, I still enjoy the day of romping around the city.  I've been to all the major museums so far, I have a few smaller and fun ones left I hope to go to with friends again later this month or next month still!  Fun times indeed!

16. Tour tea fields
For my first birthday in Korea, I didn't really know anyone.  As a way to treat myself, and hopefully make new friends, I signed up for my first trip within Korea.  We went hiking down south, then toured some tea fields the next day.  It was an amazing trip, and though I wasn't with very close friends, I had a wonderful time.  The tea fields of Korea are a bit famed, at least within the country, and something I think every foreigner living here should see.  Tea is such a huge part of the culture, and to see where and how they are grown is a great learning adventure!  I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see them, and would love the chance to see more again in other countries.

17. Go to a dog/cat cafe
Pretty sure this is self explanatory!  :D

That is about it for now!
Thanks for reading, and feel free to share any must-do/see things you would suggest for Seoul/Korea too. 
Always,
Rita
리타 마리

No comments:

Post a Comment