Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Happy Bar

Wednesday night I ventured out to find swing dancing at a place called Happy Bar.  Up to this point, I had tried twice to find it before, both times failing abysmally.  I was overjoyed as I walked into this new found scene, and rejoiced in the fact that for once a dance room wasn't packed.  Don't get me wrong, having 200 people to dance with is great, but you have limited room to dance how you'd like.  So this dance hall with only 70 or 80 folks was the perfect size for the introvert and semi big dancer that I am.
I quickly put my things down and watched excitedly as the dancers finished their song.  I wanted to get a feel of the levels at this scene, and the style.  Only two or three songs in, I was asked to dance.  After we finished, he had a huge smile on his face and nudged his friend to ask me to dance too!  I've never considered myself that good of a dancer, and compared to the ancients in the states, I'm mediocre.  But that one guy made me feel amazing.
Later while between songs, another dancer said hi to me in English, and how it was nice to see me again!  I felt bad for not recognizing him, but replied in kind enthusiastically all the same.  Never (and I mean never) before, had a Korean dancer stopped to say hi to me on his own free will!  Suffice to say, I was ecstatic!!!  While dancing with another guy, he spoke to me in Korean (asking my name I think).  I caught one or two words I knew, so I guessed and was right!  He then told me his name!  Korean dancers are horribly ridiculously shy, so I was super excited to see a guy speak to me, even in Korean. 
At another point, I was dancing with this guy and he did this ariel sort of move on me.  It was kind of like around the world, except he only flung me behind his back and then brough me back the same way around the front.  I had no idea what was going on, how he got me into it, and how I didn't fail completely at it!  We both were laughing and had smiles at the end though!
Then, this one dancer made me feel really great at the end of one of our dances when, as we were saying thank you to each other, he says "You very good.  You very good." while laughing and smiling!  I didn't know what to say or how to react!
My favorite dancer there though was this one Korean guy.  We had danced earlier, and I think have this odd sort of connection even though we can't communicate.  As we dance, we have so much fun, laugh and be silly.  If one of us screws up, the other rolls with it and makes it something hillariously fun!  We were laughing almost the entire song when we danced together for a second time before I left.  Koreans may or may not smile while dancing, but rarely have they ever laughed with me while dancing.  (I laugh a lot)  But at Happy Bar, this guy did!  And many others would at least have a big smile and some even gave a small chuckle!  I think the folks there are more chill, so they enjoyed my enthusiam instead of finding it strange.  I was never lacking on partners while there, and was stopped twice on my way out to be asked to dance.  The very last guy I danced with spoke really good English, and was asking me tons of questions.  At the end, he was asking me if I'd be coming to Happy Bar every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday now!  I couldn't help but laugh!  I didn't say yes, since I want to check out the last 4 swing bars on my list (there are a good 14 total bars out here, but I've only chosen 10 to check out).  Honestly though, I don't know if I'll ever get around to checking them out now.  I've simply fallen in love with Happy Bar.  ^.^
Love,
Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment