Seoul, South Korea

Seoul, South Korea

Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Shall Rule the World, One Class at a Time

It's just over one month into my stay here in Korea, and it's been a non-stop roller coaster ride.
Some days are great, I'm happier then ever and enjoying living in this country more then I can say.
Others, not so much.  I get sad, depressed, withdrawn and want to cry.  It comes with the territory I think; learning about yourself, adjusting to a new culture/society, and being truly on your own for the first time.
Though it's difficult, my views on living here have changed already, and a plan has begun to form in my head for what I want to do in the next few years with my life.  I entered this program planning on staying for only 1 year, and have begun to think I may decide to stay for 2.  The pay is great, the hours are good, vacation is supposedly awesome (time shall tell) and I have no reason to return yet.  To top it off, I want to go to graduate school back in the states.  I would love to go to grad school in the UK, but I have yet to find a school I feel connected with like I have in the US.  After I've finished that, I would love to teach abroad again!  Possibly in South America, Africa, Germany.  Only after living in these other countries for a little bit, then I'd return to the US to teach.  I dream of working for a program called KIPP in DC, it's designed for the low SES kids, the underprivileged and usually ignored.  It's an amazing school that I hope I can be a part of someday.  My dreams and goals are strange, vast, and varied.  But now that the world is an open road for me, with possible jobs and connections to virtually every continent, how could I ever pass up the opportunity of doing what I have always dreamed of? 
Seeing the world.
I always used to look at people who have traveled the world and go: I want that.  I want their life.
Well, I've realized that I can have that life!  So, gosh-un-golly, I'm making it!
"If it is to be, it is up to me." ~William H. Johnson
Love,
Rita

No comments:

Post a Comment